Coppersmith Christian Schulz married his foreman’s (the master coppersmith) widow on January 11, 1677 and took over the workshop, which he then carried on under his own name. With that began the SCHULZ company history over 336 years ago in Bamberg. From the very beginning, the company was affiliated with the Bamberg High Cathedral Chapter Guild of Coppersmiths.
Hanns Geörg Schulz followed in his father’s footsteps to become a coppersmith. As the oldest son, he inherited his father’s workshop on July 13, 1747. Characteristic commissions of the times came from the Bamberg Cathedral chapter, who requested holy water vessels and copper pails for a baptismal font to be made for the cathedral’s crypt. The pails are still used today.
Like his father, Tobias Schulz was to learn the coppersmith’s trade. As a master in the Bamberg Guild of Coppersmiths, Tobias played a meaningful roll. His most distinguished assignment came when he was commissioned to completely replace the trusses of the four towers of the Bamberg Cathedral. While carrying out a minor repair on one of the tower’s spires, Tobias slipped and fell to his death. To honor his life and his work, he was laid to rest in the cathedral’s cloister.
Jörg Schulz took over the workshop after the sudden and unexpected death of his father. At the time he was just 19 years old. Aside from producing and repairing brewing kettles, he consolidated business relations between the guild and the cathedral, as well as other churches in Bamberg.
Andreas Schulz was, of course, also a coppersmith. After the turn of the 19th century, the craft of coppersmiths in Bamberg was firmly in the hands of the Schulz family with two masters and three assistants. Andreas built what is now the oldest Schulz brewhouse still in operation, which is located today at the Franconian Open Air Museum in Bad Windsheim.
Friedrich Schulz was a man of many talents with an artistic, innovative streak. At the age of 21, he won first prize for his work at the Bamberg Industrial Exhibition. In 1851, he visited the World’s Fair in London as a coppersmith. He is responsible for crafting objects both technically and artistically sophisticated.
Kaspar Schulz, just like his ancestors, was to become a coppersmith. On March 13, 1879 Kaspar Schulz officially registered his business as a „Coppersmith and ironmonger with retail premises”. The company was to bear his name from that day forward. While he ran the company, it specialized mainly in producing brewing kettles. His business was so successful that he had the workshop moved to a new, larger production site in the middle of Bamberg.
Adalbert Schulz not only completed a coppersmith’s apprenticeship, he also studied machine engineering in Hanover. With this solid education and practical experience, he set out to make the company into an industrial operation. As the demand for brewing machinery increased, the manufacturing of apparatuses began gaining a more important role.
Günter Schulz-Hess headed the company as a machine engineer since the business moved to its new location on the periphery of Bamberg in 1968. Here he set milestones by implementing automation and computerization into the craft of brewing. These innovations would eventually lead to a trend in creating new small and medium-sized breweries at home and abroad, in which he played an important role.
Johannes Schulz-Hess, a trained architect, now heads the company in its 10th generation. These days, particular attention is given to company-led research, technological advancements, innovations in and improvements to the brewing process, energy efficiency in terms of CO2-free brewing, and sustainability.